What is Azure DevOps?
DevOps is an abbreviated acronym of Development and Operations. In core, it brings together your software development team and operations team to function towards a shared goal and have a unified vision. Their joint emphasis is always the product or the application which is being designed, rather than individual performances or targets.
Azure DevOps is a software service platform from Microsoft that delivers an end-to-end DevOps tool chain for designing and deploying software.
Azure DevOps is a service proposed by Microsoft based on the Azure cloud computing platform that presents a complete set of tools to handle software development projects. It combines with most ultimate tools on the market and is a wonderful choice for producing a DevOps tool chain. Azure DevOps fits the needs of many people irrespective of their platform, language, or cloud.
Azure DevOps contains
- Five critical services
- A comprehensive marketplace that contains extensions to expand the Azure DevOps platform further and incorporate third-party services.
Why choose Azure DevOps?
- Azure DevOps equips developer services for permitting teams to plan work, unite on code development, and create and deploy applications.
- Azure DevOps sustains culture and processes that bring developers, project managers, and contributors to develop software collaboratively.
- It permits organizations to develop and enhance products faster than traditional software development approaches.
Registration for Azure DevOps
Registering for Azure DevOps is a simple process requiring only a Microsoft account. Just visit this page and click on “Start for free.”
When registering, you will be required to provide extra information such as the organization’s name, project name, version control type (repo), etc.
- Organization means the Azure DevOps account name. The organization can include multiple projects.
- Projects permit users to separate projects, control access, and split the code, tests, and pipelines to maintain them within the allocated tasks. A project can be private or public, with Git or Team Foundation server as the version controlling system. Also, projects can be configured with a work item process like Agile that will be used in Azure Boards to supervise the project.
Once the registration is done, you will acquire a dedicated organization URL in the following notation:
Users can handle all their projects and use the DevOps services by visiting this URL.
Services Offered by Azure DevOps
Azure DevOps includes five services, and all these services can be grouped under separate projects so that users can have proper seclusion between different projects using diverse technologies and catering to other requirements.
Azure DevOps offers incorporated features that you can access through your web browser. In addition, you can use one or more of the following standalone services based on your business requirements-
Azure Repos provides Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC) or Git repositories for source control of your code. Azure Repos is a group of version control tools that you can use to organize your code. Whether your software project is small or large, using version control as soon as feasible is a great idea. Version control systems are software that helps in marking changes you make in your code over time.
Azure Pipelines automatically create and test code projects to make them general to others. It works with just about any project type or language. In addition, Azure Pipelines incorporates continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD) to test out and create your code and craft it to any target.
Azure Boards equips software development teams with the customizable and interactive tools they require to handle their software. In addition, it delivers a rich set of capabilities, including native support for Scrum, Agile, and Kanban processes, calendar views, and integrated reporting.
Azure Test Plans equip several various to test your apps, including manual/exploratory testing and ongoing testing. It provides affluent and influential tools everyone can utilize to boost quality and cooperation throughout the development process.
Azure Artifacts permits teams to share npm, NuGet, and more packages from public and private sources and incorporate package sharing into your pipelines. You can use Azure Artifacts in coexistence with Azure Pipelines to deploy packages, broadcast build artifacts, or combine files between your pipeline stages to create, test, or deploy your application.
Benefits of Azure DevOps Services
Select Azure DevOps Services when you desire the following results:
- Fast set-up
- Straightforward collaboration across domains
- Elastic scale
- Maintenance-free operations
- Rock-solid security
Azure DevOps is one of the top cloud-based services that present a solid and feature-rich toolset to build and control a complete DevOps culture. It allows users to cater to any DevOps requirement regardless of the programming language, technology, or the targeted platform. Azure DevOps provides an unmatched cloud-based service that seamlessly incorporates your business to facilitate your internal DevOps methods. Azure DevOps enables everything with unparalleled scalability and availability without the botheration of sustaining special software to carry out separate DevOps tasks.